BlazeDS does exactly what your custom solution does (Albeit more
stably). The only caveat is that you would need a Java Servlet
container (eg. Tomcat, JBoss) and you would need to learn Java.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Clark Hess" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ok, that's what I thought about WebORB.  We were using a custom polling
> mechanism before switching to sockets -- the delay was annoying,
which is
> why we switched.
>
> Are you saying that BlazeDS uses http persistent connections?
You're right,
> that could get annoying.  It doesn't make any sense to use persistent
> connections with apache or another large-scale HTTP server.  My socket
> server bypasses apache and just uses TCP/IP and the Socket class to
open as
> many persistent connections as I need.  Since the communication is so
> lightweight (no files, or even real data passed), it shouldn't be a
big deal
> to have hundreds or thousands of persistent connections at a time.
Any time

http://www.themidnightcoders.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=505).

http://blog.paranoidferret.com/index.php/2007/08/24/flex-php-json-mysql-advanced-updating/

<flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com><flexcoders%