I extended the programmatic skin class, and drew into
updateDisplayList, however, my arrowskin does not show up, any
suggestions?  I'm working right from the Adobe example...

import mx.skins.ProgrammaticSkin

        public class DownArrowSkin extends ProgrammaticSkin
        {
                public function DownArrowSkin()
                {
                super();
                }

         override protected function updateDisplayList(w:Number,
h:Number):void {
                this.graphics.clear();
                        this.graphics.beginFill(0x9a999a,1)
                        this.graphics.drawRoundRect(0,0,w,h,4,4);
                        this.graphics.endFill();