I don't have a lot of experience making custom UI Components, but there is
one thing I've noticed several times that doesn't make any sense.

When you add new subcomponents by overriding createChildren, they don't seem
to show up at all unless you explicitly set the width and height.  For
example...

var button:Button = new Button();

button.width = 20; // if you don't set these, it doesn't show up
button.height = 20;

addChild(button);

It seems like a lot of the time you would want the button to be just as big
as it's going to be, without setting it's width and height.  I'm sure
there's a way to do this.  What am I missing?  Please note that I most
recently noticed this on a button that was skinned.

~sean