Absolutely.  Things like lookup values or enumerations which you might
have in a database, are going to be needed, but never updated, you can
bring down in one go and cache the result never needing to query it
again, rather than getting bits incrementally.  And then are we talking
using remoting, or data services, both of which handle updates very
differently (and then there's other solutions).

But for any other data you have to factor in how it's going to be
updated, how often the data will be interacted with by the user, how
much data you require (total and in each increment), and perhaps even
the load and usage of the server.  Pulling down 100KB of data might be
fine when you've only got a handful of people accessing a system, but
what about on a system getting 5,000 requests per minute?

There really is no single answer to this "how long is a piece of
string?" question.

--Tim Rowe