I think you can use the Event Capture phase to register an Event.

In the capture phase, the visual events in AS3 are dispatched from the
root ancestor to the target.

To register an event on the capture phase you need to write something
like:

object.addEventListener(Event, listener, true)

where the third argument does just that.

But this will work only if I understood well your problem :)

Regards,
Miti