I cannot seem to get the proper year out of a DateFormatter.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong:

I have a component:
<mx:Canvas xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; width="100%"
height="100%" creationComplete="init()">
        <mx:Script>
                <![CDATA[
                        import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;

                        [Bindable] private var date:Date = new Date();
                        [Bindable] private var ac:ArrayCollection =
new ArrayCollection();

                        private function init():void{
                                var obj:Object = new Object;
                                obj.date = date;
                                obj.datetime = date;
                                ac.addItem(obj);
                        }
                ]]>
        </mx:Script>

        <mx:DateFormatter id="fmtDate" formatString="MM-DD-YYYY"/>
        <mx:AdvancedDataGrid dataProvider="{ac}" height="100%"
width="100%">
        <mx:columns>
                <mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn dataField="date"
formatter="{fmtDate}"/>
                <mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn dataField="datetime"/>
        </mx:columns>
        </mx:AdvancedDataGrid>

</mx:Canvas>

The Date column resolves to "07-16-400".  The Datetime column to "Wed
Jul 16 19:08:39 GMT-0400 2008".

Why does my year show up as 400???