I did something in my fiddling that made this work.  What, I don't
know.

However, as I posted in
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/flexcoders/message/119549 , my
year is now being displayed as the positive of my GMT offset...

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Dominic Pazula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I have an advanceddatagrid where I inspect some column metadata and
> create appropriate formatters.
>
> When my column is a DATE (not a DATE TIME), I attempt to create the
> formatter like so:
>
> var fmtDate:DateFormatter = new DateFormatter;
> fmtDate.formatString = "DD MMM YYYY";
> column.formatter = fmtDate;
>
> When I try to run this I get
> TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a
null
> object reference.
>       at mx.formatters::DateBase$/get
> http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::defaultStringKey()

[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\formatters\DateBase
> .as:173]
>       at mx.formatters::DateFormatter$/parseDateString()

[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\formatters\DateForm
> atter.as:151]
>       at mx.formatters::DateFormatter/format()

[E:\dev\3.0.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\formatters\DateForm
> atter.as:539]
>       at

mx.controls.advancedDataGridClasses::AdvancedDataGridColumn/applyForma
> tting()

[C:\Work\flex\dmv_automation\projects\datavisualisation\src\mx\control