Unfortunately, I'm already doing both of those.  Since you're response
didn't start of with "that's weird" I'm assuming this type of behavior is a
known edge case and I shouldn't be looking for a bug somewhere.  Does anyone
else have any creative/outside the box solutions (a way to smooth font
instructions to simplify a font, etc)?

- Daniel Freiman