Patrick,

Check out rawChildren, this works just fine for me.

*            private function addUI():void {
                var mySprite:Sprite  = new Sprite();
                mySprite.graphics.beginFill(0xFFFFFF);
                mySprite.graphics.drawCircle(30, 30, 30);

mySprite.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER,onMouseOver);

                rawChildren.addChild(mySprite);
            }

            private function onMouseOver(event:MouseEvent):void {
                trace("move over sprite");
            }*

Thank You
Dan Vega