What you're asking is doable, but you're definitinely going the wrong way
about it. Put the two vboxes in a canvas that doesn't have its height set,
and set the height on each vbox to 100%. Example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; layout="absolute">

    <mx:Script>
    <![CDATA[
        import mx.controls.Button;
        import mx.core.Container;

        private var buttonCount:Number = 2;

        private function addTo(container : Container) : void
        {
            var b : Button = new Button();
            b.label = "Button " + ++buttonCount;
            container.addChild(b);
        }

        private function removeFrom(container : Container) : void
        {
            container.removeChildAt(container.numChildren - 1);
        }
    ]]>
    </mx:Script>

    <mx:HBox top="5" horizontalCenter="0">
        <mx:Button label="Remove LHS" click="removeFrom(lhs)"/>
        <mx:Button label="Remove RHS" click="removeFrom(rhs)"/>
    </mx:HBox>

    <mx:Canvas borderColor="green" borderThickness="3" borderStyle="solid">

        <mx:VBox width="100" id="lhs" borderColor="blue" borderThickness="3"
borderStyle="solid" height="100%">
            <mx:Button label="Button 1" click="addTo(lhs)"/>
        </mx:VBox>

        <mx:VBox width="100" left="110" id="rhs" borderColor="red"
borderThickness="3" borderStyle="solid" height="100%">
            <mx:Button label="Button 2" click="addTo(rhs)"/>
        </mx:VBox>

    </mx:Canvas>

</mx:Application>