Jeff

Well, I know that Phil N8VB is working with an Altera and from his previous post has a Xylo board. Phil – VK6APH has also purchased a Xylo board as have I. My knowledge is minimal however, the board was inexpensive and it would appear that this kit and the sample and supporting C and HDL code would form the basis for a great ‘glue’ chip for many projects which we have collectively discussed for the SDR-1000 over the past year. Phil is designing an entire SDR based on FPGA.

Early this year, we had 3 users interested in a PIC-4550 with USB, and we all bought boards, C-compilers, and protokits. but that project is stalled, for a number of reasons, none the least of which was a pretty buggy C compiler IDE from FED. Also streaming audio back through the USB port was a bit too slow in serial. A lack of good understanding of audio USB interface. Etc.

I think the primary excitement last February was the prospect of eliminating the need for a sound card. We did some research and rejected almost all Codec chips at the time, and found the very inexpensive  Wolfson 8785 ADC chip which has an I2S interface, for minimal parts and connections, 192, khz, 24 bit, stereo input, thd 102 SNR 111

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/documents/WM8785.pdf

They also have a nice DAC chip in the same type mold.

At the same time and after,  we have discussed a number of other projects which would be ideal  to nail into an embedded system.

High accuracy/stability time base using a 1 pps time source from GPS receiver.

Integrated full function Keyer with sidetone.

DDS replacement PLL or NCO.

TCP/IP for remoting of the SDR-1000

Replacing the switch functions on the PIO board over USB rather than parallel port.

External Main tuning knob(s) and other handy buttons for the folks who quiver and shake in “Knob Withdrawl!

Complete replacement of the PIO board.

I am sure I am forgetting things we discussed as potential for embedded system ‘assist’ for the SDR 1000, and haven’t thought of others.

I think a project like this needs both folks (as many as we can get) who have experience with this embedded system, taking the lead, or suggesting resources methodology and code. Then others willing to support and test code etc.

Thanks for speaking up! This is worthy of discussion.

Eric – AA4SW