Jeff,

As in all technologies, there are tradeoffs.  In this case the tradeoff is
phase noise vs. spurs at discrete frequencies.  If we had used a traditional
PLL type LO, my observations indicate that we would probably have 20dB lower
close spacing dynamic range due to phase noise that is present at ALL
frequencies.  This is opposed to spurious output of a DDS, which is present
only at predictable discrete frequencies.  When you are trying to achieve
almost 100dB of 2KHz spacing IMD DR3, a DDS is the only way I know to do
that.  There are very expensive and well known PLL based rigs on the market
that only get 80dB of third order dynamic range at 2KHz spacing due to phase
noise limitations.

The worst case spurs on a DDS occur at integer divisors of the clock, which
in our case is 200 MHz.  As you go down in frequency (larger divisors) the
spurs will reduce in amplitude according to the formula sin(x)/x.  This
means that as you go to lower frequencies the spurs become more closely
spaced but also much lower in amplitude.  Fortunately, atmospheric band
noise covers the vast majority on the lower bands.

In our case, we offset the DDS by 11.025 KHz +/- about 1.5 KHz.  This number
must be added to the display frequency to find the spurs.  There are
singular worst case spurs in only one location on 10m and on 6m
respectively.  They will show up around 28.582 (200/7 + .011) and 50.011
(200/4 +.011).  The simplest method will be to just move the software IF
down 22 KHz when we are near integer multiples.  This would not involve
shrinking the panadapter bandwidth.  The IF frequency is arbitrarily chosen
within the 48 KHz bandwidth.  This is something that should be fairly easy
to do so I will see that we move it up high in the software priority list.

A longer term method is to map the spurs and linearly subtract them in the
frequency domain.  This subtraction would have NO effect on the signals of
interest since power is additive in the frequency domain.

The net-net is that I would rather implement software to do frequency
planning at integer divisors of the clock than to sacrifice 20dB of dynamic
range at ALL frequencies with a PLL type synthesizer.  There is no way I
know of to remove uncorrelated phase noise in software.

73,
Gerald
K5SDR
FlexRadio Systems