At 11:16 AM 12/18/2005, Tim Ellison wrote:
Eric,

Here is an observation or two and not a necessarily a commentary on
higher CPU utilization with DirectX

In DirectX mode, I get a bunch of Unhandled Exception errors when using
the GUI (clicking on buttons and such).  If I click on the button to
continue, CPU utilization goes from 25% to 3%

I am beginning to think that once I receive an Unhandled Exception
error, that the display parameter reverts from DirectX mode to GDI+.
Could this be happening?

The behavior I noticed with Matlab on Win2K was that doing drawing with the acceleration on jammed the CPU utilization to 99%, and essentially hung the system. If you killed off Matlab, it would go back to normal. Running Matlab with the acceleration turned off, it sucked a bit of CPU while drawing, but didn't hang.

I suspect that there are a whole variety of traps for the programmer having to do with the application, the OS, and the video driver all coming to a common understanding of what accelerations are present, what parameters ranges are legal to pass, and so forth. There's such a variety of acceleration schemes, and they tend not to be the best documented in the world (at least in a convenient form for someone who doesn't have a full time support team), particularly in terms of the interaction at all layers.

Clearly, if you've got the development and sales clout of a EA game, you can probably get a lot of those questions answered (and the bugs fixed). Likewise, if you're a Universal Studios looking to stream your content to Windows Media Player, etc.

Jim, W6RMK