Funny you should mention that.

Matt Ettus of USRP ( http://www.ettus.com) is now building out his FlexMMM series. He has released the Flex400, will soon release the Flex2400, and then the Flex 1296 and Flex 902/3 boards.

I have added gr-audio-portaudio to the GnuRadio pile. It is not complete but I learned of the efficacy of portaudio for Linux stuff doing the new WSJT 5.9.3 with Joe Taylor.

Frank and I will be able to easily extend the DttSP supported hardware by a factor of 2 :-P by running it behind the GnuRadio with portaudio.

It is using these ISM band systems on a chip, I/Q mixer based widgets. I like my Flex400. I used it to give a demonstration of GnuRadio to the national science foundation types at Rutger's Winlab last week. We could send 1.5 MBPS GMSK through a packet system between my 2.2 Ghz P4-M laptop and a 1 GHz Via based widget. I will load pictures on my smugmug site later after I get my PaintShop Pro X reloaded (stinking Corel won't answer my emails asking for a retransmission because of my disk crash. PAY THE $5 for the CD!! ). It is forcing me to learn GIMP and other tools I have neglected.

Bob
N4HY

Philip M. Lanese wrote:
Gerald, Jim
The TCB personnel seemed to agree that the "Intentional Radiator" part of the SDR 1000 would be covered by Part 97. There was concern that "Unintentional Radiations" could cause problems, which is probably why IcoKenYaeTec have their equipment Part 15 certified when digital communication to/from external equipment is provided. All of this stuff is subject to individual interpretation and Jim pretty much summed it up with: "Realistically, it's probably in the category of: as long as nobody complains...". The problem for Original Equipment Manufacturers is that a complaint can cost them a LOT in consequential damage so most build Unintentional Radiation Compliance Certification into all new product design cycles. I am presently involved with a new product that has both Intentional and Unintentional Radiations (RFID, BlueTooth, WIFI and GPS systems embedded into a hand-held WindowsCE computer with RS-232, RS-485, Fast Ethernet, USB and Fiber Optic connectivity options) so we have to satisfy the limits of radiated AND conducted emissions for BOTH. Jim is right on with his caution about FO driver PC board circuit layout. In fact, given a set of smaller SDR boards and conversion of the PowerSDR GUI to run under Real Time Linux, this product could be used for a hand-held SDR1000 with a built-in wired, wireless and/or fiber internet connection. With new off-the-shelf, direct conversion ISM Band Systems-On-a-Chip, this product has reached the stage of development where it can be 'software re-defined' for CW/AM/SSB/FM operation in the 14, 432-450 and 2304 MHz bands which are very close to nearby ISM bands (i.e. 13.56 MHz ISM to 14 MHz HAM). Phil, K3IB