Hey Steve,

I am going to try to replicate my thought and decision making processes
so you can understand why I did what I did and how I came to do it.

First, I knew that a multiple processor/hyperthreaded/dual core CPU
would be a plus since PowerSDR is multi-threaded.  I do see the load
evenly distributed across the two processors when running PowerSDR, so
it does work.

Second, I wanted to get a 64-bit CPU to be future proof.

Third, since the DSP software can be very CPU intensive, CPU cache,
internal processor  bus speed (between the two cores), and memory I/O is
much more important than the "fastest" CPU.

After evaluating Intel D dual core & Athlon 2X, I chose the Athlon.  It
is a tad bit more expensive than the Intel, but there are some big
advantages.  First, the Athlon 64 2X (dual core) is an on-die dual core
CPU which means that inter-core communications runs at CPU speeds (GHz/
full duplex) and not at memory bus speeds (MHz/ half duplex) like the
Intel.  It also has direct access to the memory controller using what is
called HyperTransport technology.  www.hypertransport.org   Second there
is an integrated memory controller on the CPU rather than a separate
chip on the mobo.  It has a processor to system bandwidth of 14.4 GB/s
where the Intel is 6.4 GB/s.

I looked at side by side comparisons for business processes and games
and they both had their advantages & disadvantages.  The Intel seemed to
do better with graphics and the AMD on computational things.

When choosing the model of chip, I went with the one that had the most
L1 cache (128K per core) and L2 cache (1 MB per core), so I got the
Athlon 2x 4400+.  The only other one I considered was the 4800+, but the
cost delta didn't match the gain in processor speed (2.2 GHz vs. 2.4
GHz)  I purchased it off the web from the company that had the best
price located in the US with a phone number I could call.

I really like the AMD.  I do not regret my decision at all.  I have used
every Intel made from the 8088 up and just recently the AMD Athlon.
They are so close in price/performance to the Intel chips now that it is
almost a wash.

Then came the mobo evaluation.  I called the most intense gamer/mobo
over-clocker I know and ask him for a recommendation.  He said Asus.
AMD recommends them too.  I already had a lot of PCI cards and a NVIDIA
GeForce 5200 8X AGP graphics controller and didn't want to change to PCI
Express, so my choice of chipsets was limited to NVIDIA or VIA.  The VIA
had better specs and performance than the equivalent NVIDIA.  I also
wanted hardware SATA RAID for disk redundancy, a Firewire port, and a GB
Ethernet controller. So I chose the Asus A8V Deluxe mobo.  I got this
from my local neighborhood computer store.

RAM.  I got a gig (2-512 chips) of Simple dual channel un-buffered
DDR400 RAM off the Internet for the cheapest price.  Do not go small
here.  RAM is cheap and well worth it.

Disks. I got two 150 GB Western Digital SATA drives because they are
faster than EIDE.  I am using hardware RAID I for redundancy -
performance isn't an issue since this isn't a database server.  Never
use Windows software RAID.  It is BAD.

Case.  I wanted a GOOD case that had good RFI protection (lots of
steel), excellent thermal properties and was quiet (minimal fan noise)
It had to have a good, low EMI-RFI (FCC class B rated) power supply that
was heavy duty (450 watts) and quiet as well. (It is the fans that make
all the noise).  After an extensive Internet search I chose the Antec
Sonata II with the SmartPower II power supply.  All black with blue LEDs
- It matches my black Powermate and the SDR. (I got a Johnny Cash thing
going!).  I got the case as a floor display model from a local computer
store at about 1/2 retail.  A little cheaper than if I ordered it off
the net.

Operating systems.  I chose Windows 2003 Server (32-bit).  Microsoft's
server O/Ss are a little more tested than their home consumer stuff and
I don't need all the freaking add-ons that come with XP.  I run it as a
pure application server, no domain operations as I have another server
for that.  I can (if I choose) easily upgrade to a 64-BIT OS easily, but
until driver support becomes better -OR- PowerSDR is made into a native
64-bit program, there is no real need to change from something that is
tried and true.

On the issue of FireFox - IT ABSOLUTELY ROCKS!  I NEVER use Internet
Exploder (IE) anymore except to get Windows updates once a month.  I'm
lovin' it!

I think that fairly well sums it up.

-Tim
---
Integrated Technical Services

"You can't close the door when the walls cave in" --Robert Hunter