-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Charles Greene
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 10:28 PM
To: PAS
Cc: FlexRadio Reflector
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] SDR-1000 and MIXW software TX issues

Pas,

I use MixW several times a day.  To set it up, use N4HY's blurb "How
to Setup VAC with PowerSDR" EXACTLY.  It works every time. Deviations
usually do not work.

Other tips.  I use a macro in MixW to set up CW and PSK31 in both
MixW and Power Console.  The Psk31 macro is:
<MODE:BPSK31><CATCMD:ZZMD07;><CATWAIT:10><UNLOCKTX><CLEARWINDOW><CATCMD:
PC100;><CATWAIT:10><CATCMD:PR0;>

The CW macro is:  <MODE:CW><CATCMD:PC040;>

  Explicitly setting the mode in the Power Console avoids the problem
of MixW sending the SSB mode to the power console when you select
BPSK31 in MixW.  There is a catalog of CAT commands on the site, plus
in the new manual.  I was having some trouble getting all the
commands executed at 57600 baud, so I added the CAT wait command,
which is a command for MixW, and haven't had any problem since.  The
ZZ... command gives DIGU.  When you select CW in MixW, it sends the
mode to the power console.  DIGIU or L modes have some advantages
over SSB in the filter controls and clicking on the signal for
frequency selection.

It is also helpful to save the starting frequency for PSK31 in memory
along with some other parameters.  Recalling the memory plus
executing the above macro is all you need to start up PSK31 from any
mode.  The filter setting is saved in Power Console memory and when
it is selected, it goes to the last settings you set. When you recall
a CW frequency from memory, the CW filters get set too.  So I don't
use the mode select buttons except to initially set up a frequency,
but recall a frequency that has the correct mode from memory.

There is a bug in the CAT commands.  See bug report #142.  The
software types are working on it.  To reset CAT after it stops, got
to Setup/CAT turn off CAT then turn it back on again.

To go from RX to TX, press the "pause-break" key or include TX in a
macro.  You do not need to do anything to Power Console (or send it a
macro) to go to TX or RX, as the key or a TX macro sends a CAT PTT
signal to Power Console and drops it when you push the key again or
send a RX signal to MixW.

I use the waterfall on Power Console.  You need to set the waterfall
gain on Setup/Display so that no signal gives a clear screen.  I set
the highest signal to red and intermediate to yellow on the Display
colors, to match the MixW waterfall.  Clicking on a signal in the
waterfall shifts it to 1200 Hz with the filter settings I use.  You
need to go to Setup/general/options tuning options: and check both
RTTY and SSTV to get this.  I have the MixW align command set for
1200 hz, so either the align command or clicking on a signal brings
it to 1200 Hz, which is my normal transmit audio frequency.  I set
the variable filter at  100 to 3600 and the waterfall reads the
same.  I use the spectrum display in MixW, and it is set at zoom
X2.  I expand the MixW screen at the bottom of the computer screen to
cover the entire space, and it covers 100 to 3000 Hz read in MHz.  In
other words, the MixW screen reads from 7070 to 7073 KHz for example
and the Power Console, 100 to 3600 Hz.  To set the audio gain, go to
the Power Console and go to Setup/Audio/VAC.  The RX and TX gains are
on the right hand side of the page.  The MixW audio input/output
controls do not function when using VAC.  I currently am using -15 dB
for RX gain, and 0 for TX gain.  The TX gain sets the power
output.  You don't want the Power Console to set the power as it
introduces IMD.  Set the TX gain to give about 30 watts.  The above
macro sets Power Console at 100 watts, which is a maximum
power.  Running the 100 watt amp too high will eventually burn it
out.  Set the TX filter 500 to 2900.  I defined a profile called
digital.  Unfortunately, this does not get reset when you recall the
frequency from memory, so if you use SSB (voice) you will have to
manually change it.  This is optional anyway, and is used to keep
audio harmonics from causing problems if you use a frequency too low.

Set the buffers as Tim recommended to avoid excessive time between
pressing the pause-break key or sending a TX macro and the
transmission starting.  I have the time to transmit down to an
estimated time of just under one second.  Annoying in a contest, but
that's about the best you can do.  MixW itself has a little delay
between the transmit command and text coming out.

If you want additional information, don't hesitate to ask.

73,  Chas, W1CG

http://mail.flex-radio.biz/pipermail/flexradio_flex-radio.biz/