John,

Don't get me wrong.  Using the proper balanced "jumper" from Mic1 to
Out5/6, I had it working as per your instructions and also using my
convoluted directions for getting CuBase to load without crashing Power
SDR immediately on startup (I know Chas (WQ1CG) had the same issue), but
CuBase is just not stable on Win2003 Server with PowerSDR.  I can get
CuBase to load, but as soon as I try to use another ASIO card for
something else (say, like PowerSDR), then PowerSDR will reproducibly
crash until CuBase is uninstalled.  Then everything is OK.  I am waiting
for the new FireBox firmware to stabilize (yes, I have found a small
annoying problem) and I will try CuBase again.

The 1KHz tone is a problem with what appears to be a result of DC on the
Firewire cable and/or the DC to DC converter (for the 48 VDC phantom
power) making noise no matter if is it is turned on or off.  A new "high
end" Firewire cable and using an external in-line device for providing
the 48VDC needed for my condenser mic has significantly reduced the
noise "spike".

With the working CuBase configuration noted above, I tried a lot of
different plug-ins, but in the end I found that using the EQplus by
Julius (W2IHY) provided better audio (at least a little "warmer" to my
ear using a second RX to monitor the signal) and as an added bonus, I
can use my new Marshall MXL 990 condenser mic on both my IC- 756 Pro II
and IC-910h by just a twist of a switch.  I'm not say that the CuBase
approach isn't worth trying, it definitely is.  It is just that I did
and decided to go back to an out-board audio processor.  If I didn't
already have the EQplus, I probably would be using the VST plug-ins
since it is a no cost option.

-Tim
---
Tim Ellison ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )