As a coauthor of the keyer and keying process in the PowerSDR/SDR-1000, I support every word Lee has written. He is not as critical as I am and my old friend Kirb Knessbit has been hold my feet to the fire for a year to improve the experience. Let me say that I have sold every other radio I own except for my homebrew QRP rigs or kits I have built such as my Elecraft gear and those FT-817's I use as IF's for VHF+. My FT1000's and all of my Icom's are gone out of the house. I can't quite start down the W2AGN road. My wife (N2HPE) is not so understanding!

When I sit in front my radio, I operate CW. If you will forgive my fist in this piece, because I was like a one armed paper hanger in a derriere kicking contest, you can get a "feel" for the experience by going to

http://home.comcast.net/~rwmcgwier/

and playing the PowerSDR CW qso video.

I will do this again with better tools and I apologize in advance for forcing you to use Windows Multimedia Player. I want generic tools and I have some. I am deciding the best approach, and to relieve the one armed paper hanger situation before I do this again.

Bob
N4HY

Lee A Crocker wrote:
I will respond since I have been "quoted".

------------ snip --------------------

If I am rag-chewing on 75 I tend to choose the Orion. I have multiple antennas and multiple amplifiers. I
can get 4 KW signals out simultaneously.  I have the
SDR and the Orion feeding a external 3 channel mixer. I can participate with my rag-chew in one ear, and
tune the CW bands and work DX in the other.  For me
each radio brings a different set of tools and a
different experience.  There is a trade off with each
radio.  Each radio represents virtually the same
performance in terms of raw receiver capability.  They
both represent in my opinion "mans best receiver". But the implementation of each has advantages and
disadvantages.  They represent entirely different
design philosophies.  I am very willing to live within
the constraints of the design philosophy of each radio
and exploit the advantages of each to enhance my style
of operation.  For me the proposition is not
either/or, it's both/and.

73 W9OY