Eric,
this is old news when running the Firebox :-)
Actually 0-latency operation is not dependent on running at 96 khz. I am
running my system at 48 khz sampling using the stock Firebox firmware
and new keyer code (external keyer not required). With the PreSonus set
to 512 buffers and *2.5ms* latency there is absolutely *NO* delay! I can
go as low as 2.0 ms latency while running the same buffer settings on
this system without incurring ANY receive artifacts (3.2 Ghz P4-HT). The
radio sidetone/monitor is perfectly in sync with the keyer sidetone and
paddle actuation.
Saying that however, there are advantages to using an ext keyer to more
precisely control the break-in action of the radio (for fast break-in
operation), and first character attack and delay through the use of the
PTT line.

Kirb - VE6IV
---

Eric Wachsmann wrote:

 > Let me give you the skinny right from the horses mouth. Here's what I
did: I was using a laptop (P4 ~2GHz) with a >FireBox. I set the FireBox
to 6ms on the FireBox control panel. This could probably go lower on a
more powerful >machine. I then set the PowerSDR buffers to 512 for the
Audio and DSP. I set the FireBox and PowerSDR to use >96kHz sampling
rate. At this speed, our prospective customer was able to send 50WPM
using the soundcard >monitor (not an external keyer). This is the first
time that we have tried this experiment at high speed since we >added
96kHz support. Previous attempts at this speed all led to us directing
our customers to use external keyers >for high speed CW. The long and
short of this is that with the right setup (small buffers, low latency,
fast PC, etc), >high speed semi-break in CW is possible with the
SDR-1000 TODAY!