Voice inversion, to put it real simple, is where the actual waveform
of the audio is reversed within the sideband.  In other words; on say
LSB, normally the low freq audio would be on the very right down to
DC, and the high end would be on the left end of the passband.
Inverting this would create the opposite and would not be intelligible
in normal LSB.  By dragging the LSB passband to the opposite side of
center, where USB would normally be and then re-tuning the signal, you
are then able to hear intelligent audio.

If any of you care to try this, try listening this evening around 3700
to about 3750 or so.  You will hear odd sounding signals that you can
not tune on LSB or USB no matter what you do.  However, if you try the
method I mentioned above, you will see what I'm getting at.  Oh, you
can do this with either LSB or USB, just reverse the process for USB
and re-tune.

Eric, by moving the passband in LSB to USB (or vise verse) will not
simply put the rx in normal USB mode, as the audio spectrum is
inverted once you pass the center line.