Jim Lux wrote:

>At 04:00 PM 1/2/2007, Frank Brickle wrote:
>

>>On 1/2/07, James Courtier-Dutton
>><<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>>I use Microsoft Word's equation editor, reviewing, and cross
>>>referencing capabilities a lot, and open office is incompatible for
>>>some reason. I haven't dug into why, but since I need to generate MS
>>>Word documents for others to review and work on, I'm not likely to
>>>change, nor am I interested in spending lots of time figuring out how
>>>to make it compatible.
>>>

>>I have no idea on this one, so you might have a point here.
>>

>>I frequently use OO for my wife to "fix" Microsoft Office documents
>>that get wedged on account of M$Office bugs and version incompatibilities.
>>
>>But really, if you use either OO or MO for anything beyond letters
>>and short articles, you deserve whatever misery you get. Real Men use TeX.
>>

>On punch cards, I'm sure... (after you've graduated from NROFF and paper tape)
>

>Jim

No,  I'm with Frank on this one.  IME, 99 per cent of all Word documents
I have ever read could have bee prepared on Wordpad (aka write).  The
rest are complex enough to profit from a real typesetting system.  There
are limits to the GUI paradigm.  You can "wimp out" and use LaTex if you
like.  For complicated documents, either is actually easier.

Larry  WO0Z