Jim,

Probably a good judge of "performance" is to see what the top DXers
and contesters are using.  There has been a preference for the Yaesu
2K; its too early see where the 9K will come in.  It's no accident a
current TEN TEC ad shows ON4UN with two Orion IIs. (Why two)?  I'm
not sure where the "new" ICOM 7800 will come in.  Their addition of a
6K roofing filter is of course an improvement over a 15K roofing
filter, but still is way too inadequate.  In my opinion, there's too
much placed on the ARRL/other specs causing transceivers to be
designed to exceed competitors specs for no other reason.

Given an equal set of specs for the 5K to the best top-of-the
transceiver, how many top DXers or contesters would use it?  It's
also a matter of convenience, efficiency of operating and what you
are used to.  You must admit, it takes a bit of practice getting used
to the 1K.  I think it will take awhile for the concept to generally
take hold.  In that context, I think Flex Radio is wise, while
continuing to support the 1K, are discontinuing its sales.  Maybe
some time in the future, they can come up with a cheaper, less
capable model that corrects some of the deficiencies of the 1K, as a
"starter" radio and that satisfies the SWL market.

Another item to consider.  Look at the IC7800; it has a keyboard and
a monitor you can plug in.  The distinction between a software
defined radio and a hardware radio is getting blurred. The biggest
difference in my mind, is that all the high power processing, display
and control capability of a SDR is in a relatively inexpensive
hardware box that you can replace every two years and use to send
e-mail to boot.  You don't need to replace expensive double precision
64 bit one of a kind DSP hardware loaded with controls every few
years to have the best.

Chas