Here is a repost of Sami's e-mail talking about HotWheel:

I have written this small program that is becoming almost useful.
HotWheel enables you to capture mouse wheel and selected keyboard
events and send them to any application even when its window doesn't
have focus (it's in the background or minimized).

As an example I have created a simple HotWheel configuration for
PowerSDR. Most keyboards have a little-used key called Scroll Lock and
a corresponding LED indicator. In this example, event capture is
disabled when Scroll Lock is off. When Scroll Lock is on, the
following events will be sent to PowerSDR:
- mouse wheel roll and click
- ctrl+arrow keys (up/down=tuning, left/right=sets tuning step)
- NumPad 9/3 = Band Up/Down
- NumPad 8/2 = Filter Up/Down
- NumPad 7/1 = Mode Up/Down

The active top window will receive all other mouse and keyboard input,
so you can work normally with that application, and simultaneously
have some limited control over SDR-1000 without activating the
PowerSDR window.

Note 1: Using the NumPad keys usually requires that Num Lock is on as
well.
Note 2: The Band/Filter/Mode controls are mapped to keys M/N/B/V/X/Z
(PowerSDR default settings). If you have changed these in PowerSDR
Setup, the HotWheel configuration file has to be modified accordingly.

If you want to give it a try, you can download the HotWheel program
and configuration files using the link below. Written and tested on
Windows XP Pro (SP2), but should work with Win2k and later. Please
note that this is experimental software: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ahti/sdr-1000/HotWheel.zip

Unzip the files into some directory and run the .exe file. A small
window will open and then disappear after a couple of seconds.
HotWheel is now running in the background consuming only minimal
system resources. Simply run the .exe file again if you want to
terminate the process.

I will not be describing the configuration file syntax here, because
it may change in future versions. And those with a little programming
experience can probably figure it out on their own! Most importantly,
you will need a list of Windows virtual key codes.

73, Sami OH2BFO