-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Doug McCormack
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 11:30 AM
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: [Flexradio] Noise Floor S meter vs Panadapter

I recently build the Elecraft kit to provide a reference signal for
calibration of my SDR1000.  With the 50 uV reference my S meter shows
-73 dBm (S 9.0).  At 1 uV reference, the meter shows -107 dBm ( S
3.3).  These two numbers show the S meter is perfectly calibrated.

When I remove the Elecraft unit and no antenna is connected, the meter
shows a noise floor of  -117 dBm (S1.3).  But the panadapter shows
-145 dB.  I wonder why the panadapter does not agree with the S meter.
 Maybe I am should ground the antenna connector when measuring noise
floor?  When people ask me about the noise floor, do I say -117 or
-145?

I have always suspected my 5 year-old Dell 1.8 Ghz has high internal
noise possibly on the PCI bus.  Perhaps this Dell system noise is
getting into my M44 sound card.  I hope to have a new dual-core Intel
computer later this week.

73, Doug VE3EFC