I have used both AMD Athlon 64 X2 and the Intel Core 2 Duo ships in the
past few months.  Both have their advantages and disadvantage.  I found
that the Athlon 64 chips seemed to have a bit of a problem with Windows
and core context switching.  Using a real OS (*nix) this issue was
nonexistent.  There were several hacks that seemed to help.  I have no
actual experience with the new Turions or Opterons so I can't say if
this condition has been corrected or not.  If I was to get an AMD
processor today, I would use an ATI graphics processor since the AMD 690
ship set is optimized for that family of GPUs

I currently run a Core 2 Duo E6600on a ASUS mobo with the NVIDIA chip
set and NVIDIA graphics processor.  It is a screamer.  The Intel chip
sets are probably a bit more robust, but tend to be more conservative in
the performance arena.

The "chip race" is alive and well between the Intel and AMD (which is
great for the customer) as they go core crazy.  IMHO, it comes down to
cost (who really needs to pay the big $$ for a 48 core chip???), the
amount of L2 cache on the processor and the mobo chip set when all other
things are equal.

Now, I really need to stress the point that the difference I note above
are soooooooo miniscule that you will never notice them.  They are
really insignificant when it comes to running PowerSDR.  Either are a
good choice.

BTW, do not worry about heat dissipation.  Big fans are cheap.  As far
as EMI suppression, get a very good case with lots of steel (heavy) and
no plastic "see thru" sides.  I favor Antec in this arena.

-Tim