Frank's approach of using a 3D style control sounds exciting and I'm
guessing lends itself to many other functions for which it is currently
difficult to provide a suitable display/interaction metaphor.  However,
perhaps in the short term, one possible way to disambiguate mouse click
intent might be to employ alternate tools other than the standard mouse
pointer - e.g. a notch tool which could allow selection and
drag-and-drop within the panadapter.  Maybe this approach could also be
applied to other as yet undreamt of functions.

73, Pete, n3evl