-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Scott Chrestman
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2007 5:21 PM
To: FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: [Flexradio] 5W in to SDR-1000 antenna port!

Hi, first post to the list; Wish it could be under better circumstances! :)

I've been tackling a 60hz hum on my signal since I bought a used SDR-1000 a
month or so back, and have spent the last three days redoing the shack,
completely removing every component, reinstalling, and rewiring the entire
station.  This afternoon I had my first success, and can say that I have
completely eliminated my 60hz hum!

The bad news is, I had everything in disarray and hooked up with temporary
jumpers for testing.  I went to test my TS-480, grabbed the wrong jumper,
and instead of transmitting into the dummyload, I put 5 watts down the
antenna jumper!  The signal traveled backwards, through an AL-811 amp, SWR
meter, and in to the antenna jack on the SDR.  For a split second I couldn't
figure out why the SWR meter was reading 5 watts reflected, and about 1 watt
forward.  Then it dawned on me, the RF path was in reverse...

So, what am I looking at?  Transmit is still fine, I have full output on 80,
40, and 20 (only bands I have antennas for).  I can still receive signals,
as long as they are about 40/S9 or so.  Pandapter doesn't even change when I
switch between external antenna and dummyload.

I do live here in Austin, TX and have been meaning to go by the office and
meet everyone, and now I have an excuse! :)  What's the process for getting
the repairs done, and what could I be looking for repairs?  I'll just write
this off as 'stupid tax', and get to work labeling every end of every piece
of coax while the SDR is out...

The REALLY bad thing is, the XYL just left for a four day weekend, and I was
trying to get the hum fixed before she left so I'd have four continuous days
to play with the SDR.  Luckily I have the TS-480 as backup, but Lord knows
it ain't the same!

73
Scott, N5KRC