Agreed.

Actually, it just occurred to me that this could be RF getting into the
works.  I seem to remember that the only time I've seen anything like
this was under a high swr situation where my tuner was having a
difficult time finding a match - I put it down to too much stray RF
getting in there and interfering with the control of the ATU, preventing
it from doing its job - never proved this of course, and haven't seen
that problem since.  I wonder if attempting tuning with either a dummy
load on the end and/or reduced power might provide useful information to
help solve the problem.  In any event, I see Eric is on the problem and
has posted some suggestions.

Pete, N3EVL