-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ray Andrews,
K9DUR
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 1:22 PM
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Flex-5000 & X2 Connector

Dale,

You wrote, "The FLEX-5000 provides three connectors specifically for
'keying' external devices."  The significant word in your sentence is
"keying".  See my comments to Bob below.

Bob,

Yes, I had seen that the Flex-5000 has 3 external keying outputs.
However,
they are intended for telling an amp or other external device that the
rig
is in transmit, not for antenna selection or for other applications
which
require band information during both transmit and receive.  Since they
are
only active during transmit, they cannot be used for antenna selection.

On the other hand, the 6 control outputs on the X2 connector on the
SDR-1000
have 2 configuration matrices, one for transmit and another for receive.
That way a given output can be set to be on during both transmit &
receive
on a given band.  This allows you to switch between up to 6 different
antennas directly, or up to 64 different antennas using an external
device
like the Universal Controller Board.  That is the type of functionality
that
I hope to see available in the future, either in a FlexWire accessory,
or in
some other method of implementation.

73, Ray, K9DUR