A lot of people, from time to time, express concern about open source.

There is no reason to express such concerns and the record that _already
exists_ proves it.

Compare, for instance, the PowerSDR console to, say, MixW.  MixW is a
nice piece of software I use every single day, just like PowerSDR.  It
has pretty nice terms and conditions.  Pay your 50 dollars once and you
get updates for free "forever" so far as I know.  There's been two major
revisions in the two years I have had it.

However, PowerSDR has seen major upgrades much more often.  More like
two per month if you wish it so.  It supports, so far as I know, all
kind of software defined radio products (not just FlexRadio products)
and presumably could do so in the future.  The difference between the
MixW I first bought and the product today, I'd have to rate as "slight."

PowerSDR console is, by contrast, night and day different.  I forget how
far back you got the "operate without the radio" mode, but you can fetch
back versions and see for yourself if you don't own an SDR for some
ways.  If you have one, well, you can go back farther still.  Truly
amazing.  W0VB reports that if you operate later versions against his
famous "moonbounce" session that he saved, you can actually find clear
signals the early versions of PowerSDR couldn't "hear."  We've come a
long way from the beginning.

Moreover, if work stopped tomorrow, I would be well-satisfied.  The
1.8.0 version (I haven't even bothered to upgrade to 1.10.x) is clearly
years ahead of what I could get in a conventional radio both in terms of
receiver quality, options, and operational advantages.  If I keep the
SDR 1000, I may well run 1.8 indefinitely because it would be an easy
way to keep it and the Flex 5000 separate on the same computer.

So, what would happen if the key volunteers wandered away?

Realistically, there would be a halt in DSP-related improvements for a
while, that expertise (especially of the sort we have now) is hard to
replace, but eventually someone would pick up the slack.  Improvements
to the _interface_, however, which is where I would be most interested
these days, would continue without ceasing.

This isn't a matter for theory in the end, we have an actual track
record to look at.  In my judgement, we're long past the point where the
Open Source model downsides can do us any harm and the upsides are there
for the enjoying.

Larry Wo0Z