On 10/4/07, Robert McGwier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Philip Covington wrote:

> >> When I attempted to install VS 2003 on Vista Home Premium,  it informed
> >> me that while it would be happy to install it,  it would not function.
> >> I blew Vista away after two more things (professional design tools)
> >> would not install.
> >>
> >> Bob
> >
> > I got the same message when installing VS2003.  The is on Home Premium
> > also.   I installed and and it does function.  I have yet to find
> > anything that does not function in VS2003.
> >
> > If you right click on any executable in Vista, one of the options is
> > to set the compatibility mode - I found that any application install
> > the complained could be resolved be setting it to XP SP2
> > compatibility.  I've yet to run into anything that did not work if you
> > do this.
> >
> > Phil N8VB
> >

> That was what I thought you were going to say.  To me this is not
> acceptable because it means no guarantee of support.  They can do a
> middle of the night download and blow things up.  I am glad that people
> are getting things to work on Vista because Flex does need to support it
>   and I hate for those using these older tools to be forced to by new
> ones to do any of their work.  Also as computers become difficult if not
> impossible to get without Vista if you want to run Windows, we are going
> to be out of luck if things don't go.
>
> Bob

That is how I ended up with Home Premium - it came pre-installed on a
new system.  My first instinct was to blow it away and put XP and
Ubuntu in its place, especially with the UAC stuff always asking you
if you are sure you want to do things.

After I shut off UAC, Vista and I got along better.  Still, with Aero,
~1.5 GB of the 3 GB of RAM on the system is always in use.  I am
reluctant to turn Aero off only because it is "pretty" - it certainly
doesn't  help you get your work done.  LOL...

So far so good with applications... I also can re-boot to Ubuntu on
the system which is unimaginably fast.  Ubuntu in VmWare 6 works great
also on the system.  The CPU is a core 2 quad.   Once the newness of
Vista wears off I will probably spend most of my time in Ubuntu...

Phil N8VB