Hi Scott,

Sounds like good thoughts.

Here's the way I feel about band plans:

There is a good analogy between hunting regulations and communications
regulations.

There are antique hunting weapons and modern fire arms.   It is
universally accepted that different seasons make for safety and maximum
results.  Generally speaking different seasons for archers, black powder,
modern firearms etc.   Modern Firearms tend to get the bulk of the
hunting season.

Similary there are antique communication modes and modern communication
modes.  It must  be accepted that different spectrum allocations will
make for minimum interference and maximum results in the communications
world.  Generally speaking different spectrum for CW, AM, SSB and modern
digital modes .  Over the long term, digital modes ought to get the bulk
of spectrum.

Now there is a serious problem with ARRL's attempt to allocate spectrum
by waveform bandwidth.   One can no more separate communication modes by
bandwidth then one can separate hunting seasons by muzzle velocity.
There is too much overlap.

My two cents worth...

Rob
AB7CF