All,

I was having some tremendous problems with timing this weekend, using
an external keyer and FireBox with the 1K.  I then changed sampling
to 48000 s/s from 96000 s/s and backed off the latency time from 2 ms
to 4 or 8.  I was not trying to get anything close to full QSK, so I
was using a delay time dependent on speed that would allow you to
listen between words.  I finally got half way decent response; not as
good as you get with a transceiver with built in QSK, but about as
good as the external keyer and paddle would do.  I think the response
would have been better using WinKey and a serial port.  I was using
the SDR keying jack with the external keyer.  I had less performance
with the 1K built in keyer.  CWX worked fine, but you are limited to
the keyboard and canned messages.  You can configure the canned
messages to approximate what N1MM uses although a bit more awkwardly,
but you need a paddle readily available.

I previously could not get the N1MM built in keyer to work
satisfactorily, so I didn't try.  When I get my WinKey kit built and
connected to a serial port, I have hopes that will do good job with
N1MM or Writelog.