Thanks Dave.  The event log doesn't tell me much,
except that it was a system error 00 00 00 9c
with parameters:

P1 00 00 00 00
P2 80 54 61 f0
P3 c4 03 40 00
P4 00 00 08 33

and earlier:
P1 00 00 00 00
P2 80 54 61 f0
P3 e6 05 20 00
P4 00 00 08 33

MS tells me it is probably:

•System bus errors

•Memory errors that may include parity or
Error Correction Code (ECC) problems

•Cache errors in the processor or hardware

•Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors
in the processor

•Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems

•Vendor-specific detected hardware problems

< http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284&sd=RMVP >

I think I'll try re-seating the connectors and
run the memory test for a while.

I find it quite a coincidence that it starts happening
right after I update the Delta 44 driver and install VAC.

I bought the ASUS motherboard and CPU in 2005 when I
got my SDR-1000.

Mike - AA8K