On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Brian Lloyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Yes, that works just fine. Of course you are very likely to find
> yourself in a vacuum -- which may be the intent and may, in fact, be
> the most efficient way of proceeding.

Actually writing and debugging code is a fairly hermetic activity.
However...

> OTOH you have to be really, really good to not want to see the outside
> ideas. Granted 90% of everything you get will be of little or no use
> (including what you get from me) but that last 10% (1%? 0.1%?) might
> prove surprisingly insightful and valuable. You have to dig through a
> lot of rock to find the occasional jewel. You find more jewels if more
> people are digging...

I think the issue here is *not* a resistance to outside ideas. The problem
is that so much of the design and implementation that's happening behind the
scenes is essentially a refinement and a critique of a large body of
closely-related work that's already very mature and very refined.
Astonishingly little of the "new architecture" is in fact new at all.

A lot of the design job has amounted to reviewing and culling the best
available common, Open technology for our general family of applications.
For example, much of the VR is different in no important details from a
modern high-performance, mission-critical musical sound engineering
application. The art and science of such applications is *very* ripe, and
the documentary trail is decades long.

Similarly, Erlang is the culmination of both a couple generations' worth of
system development combined with shrewd predictions concerning the coming
round of application-level networking innovations. It strikes me as the
height of profligacy to think we can do better, given the resources
available to us, at least as a practical matter.

Designing this particular VR, for the application arena we're concerned
with, requires above all a lot of woodshedding and absorption of all the
pertinent preceding work. We've tried pretty hard to publicize what the
necessary background is and how it can be acquired. Many of the issues that
keep coming up for discussion are old, old discussions that have already
seen their outcomes decided by the real world. One of the most conspicuous
lessons is where the boundaries need to be drawn to keep a system coherent
and maintainable.

If I in particular am resistant to public discussion of many design
concepts, it's because in any practical sense there *aren't* any issues to
discuss. At least -- and I stress this, again and again -- at least, *not
without a tangible prototype to criticize.* We're standing on the shoulders
of many, many, very smart and productive developers and users *already*.
Where we're at now is in exploiting what's already there. Once there's
something to criticize, then it's time to bring out the knives and axes and
see what we need to learn to do it better. Until then, the discussion
amounts to little more than psychotherapy sessions devoted to how our
(technical) ancestors decided to bring us up as children. They don't help
getting the house built.

73
Frank
AB2KT

--
Travelling by airplane in the US is nothing more than mass training of
Americans to the requirements of the coming police state. The whole point is