Hi Paul,

Please see these FRS Knowledge Base articles:

<
http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50280.aspx?Keywords=echo

<
http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50288.aspx?Keywords=echo

<
http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50160.aspx?Keywords=sdr-1000+specifications

I use ferrite on the leads to my SDR-1000 and PC.

I use isolation transformers on the sound card cables.
That also gets rid of the DC "hump" on the panadapter.

The RFI can sometimes be caused by ground loops.
I'm using a big Marantz Stereo HiFi amplifier on
the sound card output, and if I ground the chassis
to station ground, it hums.

I use an old Shure M67 audio mixer for microphone
gain, rather than software gain in the sound card.
Got it cheap on eBay.  The M67 does a lot better
in rejecting RFI than my sound card.  And I get
to play with the knobs mixing different mics
and watch the VU meter.  Takes me back to my
broadcast days.  8)

RF in the shack can be a symptom of an antenna
issue.  I try to decouple my feedlines at the
antenna and also where the feedlines enter the
shack, right after my grounding plate.  Ferrite
is my friend.

I remember running some rigs back in the 1960's
where, if my lips touched the metal microphone,
or my finger touched the ground on the key, I
could feel RF warming.

BTW, the SDR-1000 is such a good performer that
you need a low-impedance connection to a power
supply than can provide a solid 25 Amps.  Use
heavy leads to the SDR-1000.  I was chasing down
a problem and discovered that my power supply
was not providing enough current.

Mike - AA8K