Dan,

Just a tip, I had the same symptom (off frequency at power on needing to cycle power several times) several years ago. It was the 200 MHz oscillator which started slightly off frequency about 50% of the time. It took me a long time troubleshooting and the evidence came when I replaced it with a 10 MHz pin compatible oscillator recovered from a junk computer card (and selected the PLL multiplier to 20X).
I ordered a replacement oscillator from Flex and the problem was solved.

73 de Ignacio, EB4APL

Dan Scott wrote:
I forgot a couple items:
1.  the noise is between from 15-meters through 30-meters.
2. I did a cold start up test too. Shut everything down for 12 hours and tested immediately after bring everything back up. I normally leave the radio powered up because it has a difficult time getting onto frequency. It take a few power cycles to get the SDR-1000 on frequency, but once on, it stays on frequency.