> So generally is there really a 4-500 dollar difference between the
two?

Tim and Lee have given you one perspective.  Let me TRY to provide
another.

I'd say it depends on what you want to achieve, what you consider $500
worth of difference, your experience with computers, and your approach
to the radio.

I'm still running an SDR-1000 and I just love it.  I haven't seen
anything that's sufficiently compelling to make me want to upgrade to a
3K or 5K.

The biggest problem, in my own operating, with the SDR-1000 is the
frequency drift that Tim noted.  As a digital-mode operator, this made
me INSANE... UNTIL I got a real TXCO and installed it in the radio.
Simple mod, with tremendous results.  Now?  Rock solid frequency to the
hz.

Tim and Lee are also 100% correct that the SDR-1000 takes a lot more
"fiddling around" than the current generation of radios.  If you're less
of a computer guy, and more of a radio guy, you might find this fiddling
annoying. OTOH, if you're like me and comfortable with computers and not
in a rush to try the latest software... I tend to set my radio up and
only upgrade versions maybe twice a year... the fiddling is kept to a
minimum and things tend to stay working well.

The SDR-1000 uses the same software as the new Flex radios, so from a
usage perspective (features, controls, etc) they're identical (not
counting the optional second receiver in the 5K).

So, while the new Flex radios are undoubtedly superior (better build
quality, more integrated, more frequency stability, easier setup and
use) the older SDR-1000 is a real value.  And if you're looking to "get
your feet wet" in SDR, see what the excitement is about, and don't mind
tweaking this and that (a bit like assembling a kit radio)... the
SDR-1000 could be an inexpensive way to do it!

And heck... after a few months you could always sell the SDR-1000 and
buy a 3K :-)

Peter
K1PGV