<QUOTE>
What you probably don't know is that when you run a "regular" (i.e., 32 bit)
program on a 64 bit system, it runs in an emulator called WoW64 (
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384249%28VS.85%29.aspx ) so you are
adding one more layer of overhead, kinda like running in a virtual machine
inside of Win7
</QUOTE>

The technical detail here is correct (when you run a 32-bit program on
Windows-64, it runs under WoW64), but the conclusion is not.  It's a relatively
common myth.

32-bit programs actually run a bit FASTER on properly configured Windows-64
systems than they do on 32-bit systems.  Try it.  You'll see.

There is no emulation required to run ordinary 32-bit programs on 64-bit
Windows systems. When x64 support was designed, a key part of that design was
to ensure that 32-bit programs could run directly on a CPU in 64-bit mode
without any emulation or change to the 32-bit program.  Thus WoW64 is not any
sort of "emulator" at all, and certainly not like a virtual machine (in
structure or in effect).  It is, in fact, a very thin "thunking" layer that
does nothing but change 32-bit program addresses to 64-bit addresses during
system service calls.

FYI I'm not guessing or relying on internet lore about any of this: I've been
through just about every line of code in Wow-64... and there's not a lot of it.

Peter
K1PGV