Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions re setting my Flex 1500 to run with
contesting software.

Seems my ageing HP Pavilion 061 with 2,80 GHz processor and 4 GBs of RAM just
doesn't seem to be robust enough to run the radio (which with the exception of
the known issue with CW) runs perfectly until I introduce other software.
Writelog's interface wasn't stable enough to keep rig control working and I
couldn't get Writelog to key the radio and the connection failed under this
demand. Couldn't get N1MM to work (likely operator error) and HDR worked but
didn't have the contest module I needed for the weekend QRP test.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Any less demanding contest logging program or
is it time for a new computer??

Best regards,

Peter - VE3HG
VE3HG Blog