IF you're NOT using a Windows-supplied 1394 host controller driver, AND the
vendor-supplied driver is working for you, THEN there's no reason to change it.

IF you ARE using the new Windows 7 1394 driver, I would recommend that you
switch to the legacy driver.  I've seen enough problems with the new Win7 13494
driver that I generally wouldn't recommend people use it until it's fixed.

In general, vendor supplied drivers are sometimes better and sometimes worse
than the Windows supplied drivers.   Some vendor drivers are junk.  Some vendor
drivers tend to improve the performance of their devices (sometimes greatly) at
the risk of overall system throughput (and often increased DPC latency).   And
still others are very competently developed and provide features that the
Windows-supplied drivers don't.

Unfortunately, the best solution can only be found through trial-and-error,

Peter
K1PGV