Well said!!

Pete, NN9K

-----Original Message-----
From: flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz
[mailto:flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz] On Behalf Of Jack Haverty
Sent: November/14/2010 2:34 PM
To: Drax Felton
Cc: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Comparing Flex to K3 for contesting

On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 12:47 -0500, Drax Felton wrote:
> Very interesting post.  I wonder how the Flex compares against the
almighty
> Elecraft K3.

I've been contesting with the Flex-3000 for 18 months now, and like it a
lot.  I haven't used a K3 in any contest, but the K3 certainly seems to
be the standard for serious contesters.  Most of the contest stations
seem to use a K3, often 2 or 3 of them, as well as more as spares.  If
you look at the posts on the "3830" contesting list, there's lots of
discussions of stations and how people use them in contests.  I've
thought about getting a K3 for contesting - but I'm not a "serious
contester" at this point, and maybe will never be one.

Here's what I've learned....IMHO of course.

In contesting, the Flex doesn't compete against the K3.  You have to
look at the whole station as it is used in contests.  A serious contest
station might have several K3s, many antennas and amps, switching gear,
rotor controllers etc., and a software complement as well - Writelog or
N1MM, Internet spotting support, and maybe even a CW Skimmer.  A
Flex-based contest station would have a similar complement of
components.  Even a simple contest station has several pieces of
hardware and software.  The comparison has to be between the total
stations, not just between one of the components.

The Flex panadapter is very cool - but contesters are now adding the
Elecraft panadapter to provide similar functions.  I's not nearly as
good as the PowerSDR display, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see
a PC-based add-on K3 display that enables the use of standard widescreen
LCD displays through the same K3 interface.  The comments from
contesters after they first use a K3 panadapter indicate that such a
display will become standard for contest stations.  Once you have
experienced being able to "see" the contest, you can't survive "blind
mode" anymore.

In contesting, the primary station interface today is the computer, just
like with the Flex.  But the software that provides the user interface
is the "logger", e.g., N1MM or Writelog.  These contest-optimized
programs are highly tuned to contesting, and do far more than just
logging.   During contests, there's little need to actually use the
knobs and buttons on the radio - i.e., either the K3 front panel or the
PowerSDR screen.  Everything is done through the "logger".

Many stations use multiple radios - "SO2R" or Single-Op-2-Radios, which
are operated simultaneously in a highly coordinated fashion.  Multi-op
stations often have several such stations, all interconnected by a LAN,
and coordinated by the software.

In other words, a "contest SDR" uses Writelog or N1MM as the primary
user interface, often controlling a complex station with with multiple
radios, in the same way that a typical Flex station uses PowerSDR with a
single radio.

The K3 has become entrenched, and such complex stations are by now well
understood and integrated.  It all works "like a Swiss watch".

In contrast, I've been using my Flex-3000 with N1MM for contesting -
PowerSDR's window full of virtual controls plays the same role as the K3
front panel in the typical contest station.  I.E., a very small role -
you rarely need to touch the "knobs and buttons", both the physical ones
on a K3 or the virtual ones in the PowerSDR window.  When I contest, I'm
mostly typing at the N1MM window, and mousing on the PowerSDR
panadaptor.

In the PowerSDR/N1MM integrated world, contesting works, but it's a
somewhat contentious marriage compared to the K3.  E.G., using the same
mouse/keyboard with 2 user interfaces can become unwieldy keeping the
focus in the right place.  Little things become annoying - e.g., the
need to bring up the separate Mixer window just to mute/unmute the
speaker.  Or the fact that the PowerSDR window insists on consuming so
much screen real estate, when all I really want is a short, wide window
showing the panadapter.  It's a watch, but not Swiss.

Also, CW is very important to contesters. and the lack of full break-in
is noticeable.  I've worked CW contests with the Flex, and I often can
tell that a full QSK system would be much preferable.  A "serious
contester" would not be pleased with the Flex-based contest system as it
works today in CW.

Contesters who are struggling to create or improve their CW skills
(contests often run at 30 wpm), are also attracted by features like the
built-in CW decoder on the K3, which converts CW into text.  I suspect I
could do that with my Flex station by finding and integrating another
piece of software, but it's already built-in with the K3, and works well
enough to serve as a crutch for struggling CWers.

The Flex compares very very favorably to the K3 for contesting when you
look at price.  By the time you buy things like panadapters, narrow
filters, etc., there can be $thousands of difference.

A new ham, who got interested in contesting, asked me recently if I'd
recommend the Flex for contesting as his first HF rig.  I basically told
him what I just said above, and recommended that he get a Flex because
it will be a good way to learn contesting, and it's a lot cheaper.  If
he becomes a serious contester, he can always get his K3(s) when that
happens.

Somewhat down the road things will be different, in both the K3 and Flex
worlds.  Some very powerful features could be done with better
integration of the Flex into contesting systems.  The K3 is the
incumbent, and it will improve too.  But my crystal ball is too cloudy
to tell what the comparison will become

Meanwhile, contesting with my Flex-3000 is a lot of fun, and a good
choice especially for new or casual contesters.

73,
/Jack
de K3FIV