Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 5:12 PM
To: jens...@digilink.net ; flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: RE: [Flexradio] Flex 5000A RX2 Diversity Audio Issues

See my comments below

-Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz [mailto:flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz] On Behalf Of jens...@digilink.net
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 7:17 PM
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz

When in diversity mode, I am experiencing audio volume level changes with the changing or movement of frequency.

[Tim] What mode are you using? Synchronous or "beam steering" diversity using the "radar screen" or just syncing the receivers to the same frequency (stereo or dual diversity).

Here is a simple and controlled example of what is happening.

The set up is as follows:
RX 1 receiving on antenna 1 and RX2 on RX1 tap.

[Tim] Here is one problem. You are not using separate antennas so there are no diverse signals to operate on. RX2 cannot be on the RX-1 TAP if you want diversity RX. You have to have separate antennas http://kc.flexradio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50386.aspx

Both receivers (identical setup) same mode, filter, agc gain & time constant, preamp settings and VFOs sync. Audio is set so that each receiver is balanced right and left channels. Note: this is not one receiver on right channel and the other on left channel.

[Tim] This sounds like you are doing stereo diversity.

As the frequency is tuned, by any method, the volume changes at times by as much as 10db or more. The receivers appear to stay sync’d. If I adjust one up or down 1 cycle, a one cycle beat is noted, press the sync button and beat note goes away. What appears to be happening is that from time to time, the audio outputs are partially out of phase. When the volume drops, I can mute either receivers audio one at a time and have the volume increase. (RS 1 is muted by use of SQL control and RX2 by its mute). This audio issue is not always happening, but once it starts it is repeatable.

[Tim] This sounds like WBIR (wide band image rejection) going off in the weeds. WBIR is not working 100% correctly in this version of PowerSDR. Bob is working on a new and much improved version.

Is this a software problem?

[Tim] I'd say yes, it is a software problem.

Anyone experiencing the same issue?

For reference: Power SDR Beta v2.0.16 Flex 5000:1610-2789 Computer running Win 7 -- HP Pavilion A6750F Desktop PC 2.3 GHz AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad-Core Processor, 8 GB RAM -- OHCI 1394 Host controller (104C) TI – Chip set (8235) XI02200A Rev 01)

Let me know what you think!

Thanks
Bill - AD6I

-----