Here is something that I stumbled on. The noise blanker actually works on 
certain types of noise. I've had my SDR-1000 since late 2006. I tried using the 
noise blanker many times but never observed any significant results. Yesterday 
on 75 meters I was receiving this horrible buzzing electrical noise that swept 
across my panadaptor and made my waterfall display turn completely red. When I 
clicked on NB1 it disappeared completely!! To make sure it was actually working 
I spent a few minutes clicking it on and off and the results were dramatic. I 
also have a problem with elevator noise. The noise blanker reduced the elevator 
noise by about 3 db. I'm hoping through experimentation that I will be able to 
reduce it even further. Perhaps it would be nice to have the adjustments 
available on the Flex console instead of on the setup menu. That way I would be 
able to adjust it on the fly, perhaps for different types of noise. 
 
I'm going to try your suggestion to see if it applies to the elevator noise.
 
Thanks for sharing your trick!!
 
Edwin Marzan AB2VW


 
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 11:31:39 -0700
> Subject: [Flexradio] Noise rejection improvement
> 
> Dear Fellow Flexers,
> 
> Please allow me to share a little trick that I've stumbled upon, using 
> PowerSDR v2.0.16 with my Flex 5K, that seems to dramatically improve band 
> noise and woodpecker noise filtering while improving the effectiveness of 
> Noise Blanker 1 and Noise Blanker 2.
> 
> 1. Click on 2.9 filter and tune to the noise source in LSB or USB.
> 
> 2. Click on Noise Blanker 1, then pull down the setup menu and click on the 
> tab that allows you to adjust the settings.
> 
> 3. Experiment with the settings until you achieve the lowest noise possible 
> with minimum audio distortion on NB1.
> 
> 4. LEAVING NB1 SELECTED, click on NB2, then use the setup tab to adjust NB2 
> for minimum noise, as you did with NB1.
> 
> 5. Close the setup menu and de-select the noise blankers until you need them. 
> 
> The next time an annoying pulse noise blankets your frequency, select both 
> NB1 and NB2 to gang the noise blankers and cut the noise level as far as 
> possible.
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Dick KE7XU 
> _______________________________________________
> FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
> [email protected]
> http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
> Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
> Knowledge Base: http://kc.flexradio.com/ Homepage: http://www.flexradio.com/
                                          
_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kc.flexradio.com/  Homepage: http://www.flexradio.com/

Reply via email to