From: ke...@3950.net
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Sent: Sun, Dec 18, 2011 18:09:29 GMT+00:00
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] FlexRadio Digest, Vol 80, Issue 17

On 12/18/2011 12:33 PM, Bob McGwier wrote:
Absolutely NOTHING. That is the REASON for having the (synchronous AM)
SAM
detector.  Maybe we should not have included the AM detector at all
[...]

I am glad it is included. Some AM QSOs, especially those involving antique gear, have participants separated by many hundreds of Hz, and it's nice in such cases not to hear the 'swoop' of the regenerated carrier locking in when the stations are breaking back and forth quickly. When everyone's very close to zero beat, of course, SAM is much to be preferred.

Let me thank you right now for all the great work you have done with the Flex hardware and software. As I said in another venue recently "...doing all the filtering and demodulation with perfect mathematical accuracy in software not only gives you tremendous dynamic range and filtering capability, but it makes the recovered audio almost supernaturally clean-sounding. Listening to a Flex into a good sound system for the first time is like discovering that pillows had been strapped to your speakers, and gravel had been stuck to your voice coil, for all these years -- and finally removing them."

I wonder if Flex, or anyone with the ability to do the coding, ever considered these four enhancements that definitely interest me:

1. Costas loop detection for receiving pure DSB with suppressed carrier. No transmitted carrier is required for a Costas loop sync detector. It depends on the audio null in the Q channel for phase lock. It makes DSBSC practical and supposedly does better than a carrier lock sync detector when propagation is turbulent, even on AM.

2. Provision for transmission and phase-locked reception of SSB with a pilot carrier down 20 dB or so. This was used by TMC for HF SSB broadcast relay gear and gave SSB a clarity, with perfectly aligned harmonics, that current ESSB techniques cannot (though they can come close with rubidium or GPS frequency standards).

3. Use of "selectable sideband sync detection" using the phasing technique to cancel the interference in either the upper or lower sideband of an AM signal. (Since there is no significant desired audio in the Q channel, the desired audio is _not_ cancelled from either sideband.) This gives a 6 dB s/n advantage over the "drag the filter edge" technique of chopping off one sideband when it is interfered with. This would also lend itself to a fantastically effective kind of binaural reception on AM: LSB interference in the left headphone channel; USB interference in the right channel; desired AM audio -- and _nothing but_ desired AM audio -- in the center. I have experienced this and it allows the brain to process the signal in a way that allows _much_ better intelligibility.

4. Adding the ability to see the modulated RF (really IF) on the receiver scope, instead of just the demodulated audio. This tells you a lot about the received signal, especially on AM, and would be a very valuable tool.

With best Yule wishes,

Kevin, WB4AIO.