<quote>
Or, just turn down the drive as you are supposed to.
</quote>

SUPPOSED to is the key phrase here.

Isn't the point of ALC to be a safeguard?  Obviously you don't set "all knobs
right" (I *love* that phrase) and rely on ALC to take care of the level-setting
for you.

Won't ALC save you from roasting your amp if you forget to turn down the drive
power?  There are lots of amps that don't have 100W inputs.  The KPA500 needs
30W-40W of input, for example.  It's easy to forget to "turn down" your output
to the right level:  Say you're listening around barefoot, you hear some DX and
decide you need the amp.  You flick on the amp and in the heat of battle you
neglect to turn down the drive on the Flex.  WHAM!

I can't see how ALC can be a *bad* thing assuming it's used properly.  Am I
missing something?

Peter
K1PGV