No network protection mechanism worthy of being called such will EVER
survive in the modern environment with a CDN which starts with an SDN.

You need multiple innovations these days and work is already being done in
these areas (most of the IP is declared and protected).

1) A software defined router capable of taking rapid training of new rules
and applying MANY MANY rules more than is currently sustainable by almost
any available commercial router.
2) An AI capable of running both rule based and inference based update of
the state of play and then making the changes to the routing rules.  This
is the only way to be fast enough to ever hope to be useful these days and
those which are surely to follow.

A world with SDN informed by an AI making it a Cognitive DN is doomed to be
as useful as coaxial based 10BaseT ethernet card is today.

Bob