Patrick,

Yes, of course.  That's why I cautioned to make sure the power handling of the
coax was up to snuff.  There is an absolute power limit at each operating
frequency unique to any particular coax.  It's hotter closer to the
transmitting end.

All we have to do is select a coax that can handle 50 watts @ 144 MHz and we're
good to go. It's on the data sheet for the coax in question.

For instance, the 150 MHz (close enough) loss for Times LMR-100 is 8.9 dB for
every 100 feet and it can handle 100 watts average (long time constant - 10
minutes?) power.  So, there is plenty of power (heat) margin.  If one wants 4.0
dB loss then simply roll out (4.0/8.9 x 100) = 45 feet and put connectors on it.

45 feet of LMR-100 is safe and effective, if a little too long for convenience.

Choosing somewhat lossier coax would lead to needing less of it.  RG-178 is a
Teflon dielectric coax that's very thin and has about twice the loss of LMR-100
and can handle even more power.  One would only need 22-25 feet of it for 4.0
dB @ 2 meters.

A little web browsing can be marvelous.

Cheers,

Mike - W8MM

BTW, we used to make precision terminations for 450 MHz testing by using a 100
ft roll of rg-174 (with nothing at all connected to the far end). The return
loss was twice the attenuation, so the reflection from the open or short at the
far end was much weaker than the imperfections of the coax characteristics and
connector.  Easier, cheaper, and more robust than a precision load.