Once upon a time a long time ago in a town far far away (San Diego) I was the branch head in charge of SSIXS (Satellite Submarine Information Systems) for FCDSSA (Fleet Combat Direction Systems Support Activity) SSIXS is a message store and forward system that provides broadcast content to be transmitted via Navy VHF/UHF SATCOM to be received by submarines at sea (Two way capability.) SSIXS also provides one way broadcast message traffic to the VLF keying site to send low data rate messages to submerged subs trailing long wire antennas as deep as 60 ft. It is not at all unusual to have these VLF transmissions received from nearly any location depending on conditions and your receiving situation. Expect the transmissions to be encrypted. Oh, by the way... The British Royal Navy has a version of our software that we sold to them and maintain and they operate their own transmission sites.

For more info I suggest Jane's.

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Barber
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:14 PM
Cc: Flex Radio
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Eham review - K1EL VLF Converter and its Use with FlexRadios

Interesting.
Probably lots of silence and nav beepings out here on the west coast, tho.

73,
Jim N7CXI

On 3/10/2013 2:13 PM, Ken Alexander wrote:
Hi Terry,

There are sixteen longwave broadcast frequencies between 153 kHz and 279 kHz, spaced 9 kHz apart (except for 177 and 183, which have remained on some older layout). Several of the stations are reasonably strong here in Ontario (I'm in Newmarket) but less so than most shortwave broadcasters. All stations broadcast in their local languages, so you'll only find English on 198 kHz (BBC) and 252 kHz (Ireland).

When conditions are good and quiet (low K-Index) then the band wil open up a little and you can hear multiple stations on each frequency and weaker stations from eastern Europe and Russia fading in.

In addition to broadcasters there are Navtex weather broadcasts to shipping on 518 kHz, and DGPS (differential GPS) stations that support shipping navigation. There are time stations on 60 kHz and 77 kHz and naval communications in encrypted digital modes down even lower.

I have had good luck with my Flex-1500 and a 500 kHz lowpass filter I built to keep the mediumwave broadcasters out. I use a 6 ft diameter active loop antenna, which provides good reception.

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS