Bret

Let me first make it clear that I have been an avid fan of the Flex product -
don't believe me ? look at my QRZ.COM page. I have also converted more
than 20 people from conventional radio's to owning Flex radio's.

I flew halfway around the world to attend the Orlando hamvention in
February this year, one reason being so that I could see what all the fuss was
about
with the new Flex 6000 series radio's. Tim demonstrated smartSDR to me with the
6000 series radio in great detail. I am saying this so you know I am
not on a troll here, but I have seen the new radio in operation.

I prefer the PowerSDR concept radio's. I would  have liked it if Flex
built on from this model and enhanced it. There are a number of enhancements
that
I would have liked to have seen in the 5000, which I won't detail here.
I prefer this concept, where you can continually upgrade your computer
without having to change the radio. With the 6000 series the computer is built
into the
radio. Of course, in order for the Flex-5000/5500 to keep up with faster
computers, the enhanced
5500 would need better data transfer than firewire 400. I would like to see a
5500 come
out with support for Firewire 800 and also Thunderbolt (12 times faster).

This is a personal preference. I cannot ever see the need for 4 or 8 or 100
slices
of the spectrum. The most I will ever use is 2. I know that smartSDR is in its
infancy,
but I hate the GUI. No waterfall ? The waterfall was one thing that sold me on
Flex
products - I don't want my display to be clogged up with "slices" that I
wouldn't use. I would
prefer to have my display showing the slice I am on in GREAT detail with
waterfall aka PowerSDR.
$ 200.00 a year to subscribe to SmartSDR….really ?

I was not saying they should continue producing the 5000 forever. I never said
that.
What I am saying is that they should continue enhancing that PowerSDR concept.
ie. a Flex-5500. I don't like the SmartSDR concept. I hate the GUI. I prefer
having all
the buttons I need on the display - mode change, volume change, band change etc
etc.

I am also NOT saying that the 6000 series is a bad idea - clearly there are
lots of
customers waiting to purchase it. All I wanted to see, was for the PowerSDR
hardware
to continue being enhanced

Because it appears that the hardware for PowerSDR  will not be enhanced….I will
be moving
onto the Kenwood TS-990S. But I will still keep my Flex-5000, nice radio….maybe
sell
my Flex-3000 and Flex-1500.

73
John, ZS5J